In recent years we have witnessed the ever-increasing digitisation of our economy and application of “big data” to deliver more cost-effective services to meet new and expanding customer needs. The rate of adoption has been exponential whether its Uber, Airbnb, Amazon or fintech applications that allow you seamlessly make a purchase. However, one sector that has been a major procrastinator in embracing the opportunities that “big data” offers is construction, writes John Keane, Commercial Director, MMA Consulting Engineers.
Fire safety in buildings has been gaining significant attention in the UK and Ireland recently, not least because of the tragic events that took place in Grenfell Tower, London in June 2017. In her report into the incident, Dame Judith Hackett established that there were clear shortfalls and she was damming of the whole regulatory process for buildings. This has placed a big question mark over the competency and responsibility of those designing and maintaining buildings. While it is still unclear what the ramifications will be, the industry is braced for major regulatory change, writes Richard Caple, immediate past President of the Society of Light & Lighting (SLL), and Lighting Applications Manager, Thorlux Lighting.
As 2018 marks CIBSE Ireland’s 50th anniversary, the Institution has devised a new awards scheme designed to recognise, and promote, best practice in respect of the design and installation of building services. It takes in both new-build and refurbishment across commercial and industrial (non-domestic) projects.
St Mary’s Parish Church in New Ross is a medieval structure dating back to 1210 and situated on a prominent rise overlooking the town. The nave of the church was knocked down in 1813 and the site is now occupied by the present church, which is still in use today, and stands alongside the ruins of the original structure. Architecturally, the buildings are a mix of Gothic and Norman influences and the site was an obvious choice when Wexford County Council sought to highlight a landmark feature in New Ross to represent the heritage of the town, and to promote tourism in the surrounding region.